In this webinar, Sharon Plante and Leslie DiChiara will share how they work with teachers and students across curriculum areas and classrooms to prioritize the learning needs of students with disabilities. From coaching, mentoring, and coteaching to using adaptive technology hardware and software, educators can personalize learning for their students. Also, joining the webinar will be Ace Parsi, a spokesperson for the National Center for Learning Disabilities, sharing how advocacy and research can improve outcomes for people with learning and attention issues and other disabilities. Mr. Parsi will lend his perspective on about how to shape local and national policy to reduce barriers and ensure opportunity and access for all students.
Guests will explore the following questions:
- How can educators enhance what they already do to support students with learning disabilities? What new adaptive technology can they incorporate into their current work?
- What challenges can students with disabilities experience in these environments and how can schools proactively address these challenges
- What are some strategies to coach and mentor content-area teachers for supporting students with disabilities?
- How do content teachers and special education teachers work together to create and implement lessons that support the universal design learning principles?
- What federal policies should educators keep in mind when they want to increase their knowledge on the rights of students with disabilities?
- During this time of national crisis, what should educators do to ensure they apply the latest and greatest strategies to support students?
- Leslie DiChiara, Assistive Technology Specialist, Instructional Technology Specialist, North Bellmore School District (NY) (@lrdichiara)
- Sharon Plante, Chief Technology Integrator, The Southport School (CT) (@iplante)
- Ace Parsi, Director of Innovation, National Center for Learning Disabilities (@ncldorg)
- Avril Smart Goggans, PhD, Research and Engagement Manager for Future Ready Schools®, Alliance for Excellent Education (@DrAvrilSmart)